WAGAS explores the international collaborations between key players in the maritime sector in efforts to advance vessels across the globe safely and efficiently.
Intelligent awareness (IA) systems are set to become the next generation of digital technologies to revolutionise the maritime sector, and are expected to enhance safety through the utilisation of sensors, high-resolution displays and intelligent software. In turn, this technology will support other innovations, including the autonomous vessels of the future.
With international players taking part in a range of ongoing research and development activities, the IA systems which will seek to advance the maritime sector are approaching. Here, Government Europa explores a number of key collaborations between players in the maritime sector, through which they hope to revolutionise the safety, communications and autonomy of vessels.
Key topic areas:
- Technological development including digitalization, artificial intelligence, autonomous shipping, big data and its manifestation and effects in the maritime industry e.g. in autonomous vessels, in sustainable energy generation, in education and training etc.
- Trend analyses of technology and its impact on the maritime industry and society
- Predictive modelling of technological developments and their impacts e.g. on labour supply and demand
- Security infrastructure for technological systems – currently focused on cyber-security
- Fundamental philosophies relating to the sociological phenomena that drive a “technological society”